By end of december I got the chance to get one of the much coveted DV4mini Sticks for the use as a D-Star dongle. After plugging it to an Ubuntu 14.04 system the kernel created a serial device (/dev/ttyACMx). After downloading the software from  I executed mono dv4mini.exe and nothing worked. The GUI sayed it is searching the DV4mini device and obviously could not find it.
The output of the terminal from the binary showed something like this:
$ mono dv4mini.exe
using momory pipes
09:50:09,112176 (0000): DV4mini ... DV4mini driver started successfully
09:50:09,112177 (9112): SERIAL ... search DV4mini USB stick
09:50:09,113273 (0001): DV4mini ... Configuration file directory: /home/florian
09:50:09,113302 (0000): ADF ... set RX / TX qrg: 435100000 / 435100000
09:50:09,113338 (0000): DV4mini ... set mode: D-Star
09:50:09,113478 (0000): DSTAR ... XRF/REF processing started:
09:50:09,113514 (0000): DMR ... Start DV4m Modul V0.01
09:50:09,113606 (0000): DMR ... Start on TS2 Reflector Version:20150922
09:50:09,113642 (0000): DMR ... Start on TS2 Reflector Version:20150922
09:50:10,112953 (0999): DV4mini ... no config: /home/florian/dv4m00016463194F.cfg
09:50:11,125178 (1013): DV4mini ... no data from Stick since 1 s
It seems like it could not read a config file. From other users I heard that this file should be generated automatically but this did not happen in my case.
After digging around for a while I tested the stick on a virtualized Windows 7 Pro system with success. After installing the necessary drivers the OS allocated a COM Port and dv4mini worked without any errors. Further I tested running dv_serial on the Windows system and the dv4mini.exe GUI on the Linux host. This worked fine but the other way round did not. So I guessed that dv_serial is the problematic part.
A few days later I met some other OM in order to analyze a buggy feature of the DV4mini stick causing some audio dropouts. While we were at it I copied a config file from a running DV4mini system and renamed it accordingly.
With that config file in place the GUI started propery on my Ubuntu 14.04 box and the D-Star hotpot was usable. For documentation pruposes I will list the contents of my file here: